We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Things To Do With Kids In Sarasota
Having spent the last 5 years in sunny Florida; I can say with confidence that I know of at least a few things to do with kids in Sarasota. In addition to the beautiful beaches there are lots of things to do. From museums to playgrounds to parks and the list goes on and on.
If you are planning to come to this neck of the woods this list will help you with some kids activities in Sarasota. Even though you will have plenty to do you will only be two hours away from Orlando so you can pack a few things and head to Disney World for a couple of days.
There are many kids activities in Sarasota. Let's start with some of my very favorite places.
- Siesta Key Beach- Siesta Key has been named the best beach in America. Its soft, cool, white sand consists of 99.9% Quartz Crystal Sand. The beach is wide and long and the water is clear and warm. The sunsets are breathtaking!
- If you end up parking in the main parking lot you will have access to a concession stand, bathrooms and showers which is great if you have little ones!
- Have you ever arrived at the beach, settled down only to have your 6 year old tell you he needs to go number 2? Argh!
- There are also picnic tables, chairs and even tennis courts. And don't forget the Drum Circle every Sunday from about 5pm to sunset. The kids will have a ball!
- Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium - if you have been to the larger aquariums in bigger cities you may find Mote Aquarium to be on the smaller side.
- However, the truth is that kids love it. We have been there so many times and they never get tired of it.
- Even today their favorite activity is to pet the stingrays. (Ssshhh. Don't tell anyone but it's also my favorite thing to do there). The kids will get to see dolphins, manatees, turtles and giant squids. Lots of fun there!
- Jungle Gardens - What a fun place to go with the kids! To give you an idea my kids ended up holding a baby alligator and a huge snake! They LOVED IT!
- The kids will also have an opportunity to feed the Flamingos, see lots of beautiful birds and wildlife. That's a great place to go if you need a break from the beach which can get a bit tiring after you have been to 5 days in a row.
- St. Armand's Circle - Even though St. Armand's Circle is more for adults I'm going to mention it anyway since kids can still have a good time.
- We were just there today. We walked around looking at the shops and restaurants and then decided to have a gelato.
- We found a store with a bubble maker and the kids spent at least 30 minutes popping the bubbles, laughing and jumping trying to catch them.
- I recommend you go to Lido Beach which is just a few minutes away and then head to St. Armand's Circle for lunch. I suggest you get a nice, comfortable pair of walking shoes for your kiddos and yourself if you intend to do lots of walking. It will be a nice day!
- Marie Selby Botanical Gardens - This spectacular garden is 9 acres in size and includes 20,000 varieties of living plants. It has a Children's Rainforest where the kids can play and explore. The kids have a really nice time walking around this beautiful place.
- The Ringling Museum- There is lots to do at The Ringling but a couple of the options will be more entertaining for the kids than others.
- One of my kids' favorite exhibitions is the Circus Museum. There you will find a 44 thousand miniature piece Howard Bros Circus Model. You will be impressed!
- There is also a great shaded playground where you can end up staying for hours! Sometimes when we attend the museum I supplement our vist with some educational activities.
I know that there are many things to do with kids in Sarasota but I couldn't possibly cover it all. Did I miss one of your favorite places? I would love to hear about it. Drop me a line and let me know!